Thursday 11 August 2011

String Coaster

I've recently accumulated a bunch of craft books from various charity shops. They are books from the 70s and 80s books and offer instructions on how to do, and projects with, various different crafts. They are now my bibles, if I want to know how to do something, they can tell me how!

One of the projects in the book was sisal braiding, it was being used to make a rug (which is actually amazing - a to do for when I have a bigger home!)* I thought one of the circles would make a great coaster so I decided I'd have a go. I don't have any sisal, but I did have some string, so here is my string coaster.





I cut the string too short so the coaster is a bit smaller than planned. I think I will definately make some more though, and I might use some scraps of material to make a thicker coaster.


*The book is Harding, Mary 'Crafts', Book Club Associates, London 1978

2 comments:

  1. that looks awesome! so do u just plait the string? how did you get it to all stick together? whats next? can u tell im keen and like making new things lol
    great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paula

    Yep, just doubled the string (so had 6 strands) and plaited it. Then sewed it around in a spiral.

    Making things is always good. I'm not sure what to do next, too many ideas, too little time! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...