Tuesday 25 October 2011

Treasure

We missed International Talk Like a Pirate Day this year, slack I know. But we don't need a celebratory day to be pirates. In this household we are always on the search for treasure - although what constitutes treasure differs slightly between the two of us. My idea of treasure is generally something that I can make something lovely with (which is why I have an epic wool and fabric collection!). Kit seems to consider treasure as either something he can eat or play with. Well, I combined the two, and used some of my pretty things (and a few bits from the rubbish bin) to create something that Kit could play with. We literally made treasure.

Firstly we found some scrap card and a bottle top. Drew around the bottle top and cut out lots of circles.

This is the reason that toddlers shouldn't play with scissors...

 'I cut my nose Mummy'

We were lucky because the card we found was already gold on one side, so when we did the next step of sticking two circles together we already had a gold coin, but if you don't (and we had one that the gold was torn on) then you could cover them in tin foil like we did.


We needed something to store the coins in so I whipped up a really simple bag from some piraty fabric I had in my stash. They are basically a strip of fabric folded in half and a flap folded over at the top of each side to create a drawstring. You have to do it inside out and then sew the flaps in and up the sides (but not the flaps as you need to thread the string through there) - sorry I'm dreadful at explaining!


I think my little pirate likes his treasure anyhow.


 

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, must try this. I've also seen some instructions somewhere for a cardboard pirate treasure chest (maybe RedTedArt) that I've been meaning to try, and these coins would go really well with that. Love the little bag too, another thing that I think I could manage even with my limited sewing skills. They are really useful for keeping little things together, and look nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - visiting from the BritMums blog hop. This is a lovely idea! The hub made an pirate's treasure chest from card for J recently - these would be just perfect to go in it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...