Thursday 6 October 2011

Recycling Crayons


I've seen lots and lots of posts on various blogs and websites explaining how to recycle old, broken crayons into new, pretty, lovely ones. What a great idea! Kit is only 2 and we already have a box full of crayons, mainly given to us in goodie bags from various places. I thought recycled, nicely shaped crayons could make a great party bag or stocking filler (especially if you find moulds that are seasonal!).



I picked up a star shaped ice-cube mould for 10p at a charity shop so gave it a go. Now the instructions I was following suggested that I break up the crayons into the mould, and then I leave them on a sunny window-sill and they would melt into each other and create a new crayon.


It having been the hottest weekend in October ever, you'd have thought they would have melted. Nope. Obviously the instructions were written by someone who lived somewhere a lot hotter than me! In the absense of a greenhouse (I had been considering taking it all down to my parents to put in my Dad's greenhouse), I did this.


It took quite a while (my hairdryer has never seen so much action!). I had to stop because the doorbell went, so they weren't really fully melted. I think the second attempt will either involve a greenhouse or an oven. Or maybe I'll grate the crayons instead so that they melt easier. I'll post if I succeed better than these.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a neat idea and the crayons look so cute too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the idea, a very innovative way of recycling the crayons.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...