Monday 19 March 2012

Mothering Sunday at the Tate Modern

It being Mothering Sunday this weekend I thought that I would force Kit to do something that I wanted to do. I wasn't sure how that would go, since at the moment Kit doesn't seem to be interested in listening to anything that I want him to do, in fact he is excelling in doing the opposite! You might have read my previous posts about my attempts to enlighten Kit with modern art, and his slightly tactile approach to one of the paintings. Not necessarily heading for a quiet and relaxing day to go to the Yayoi Kusama exhibition at the Tate Modern then!

Actually we had lots of fun. I cheated and, as before, kept Kit on his dinosaur rein. I'd love to let him run free, but I'd literally never see him again if that happened (or if I did I'd have to pretend I didn't know him as I wouldn't be able to pay for the damage he would do!). I ended up carrying him a lot of the time though, because they hadn't really set up the exhibition with toddlers in mind, and he wanted to see the pictures too (an art exhibition set up with toddlers in mind would be awesome!).

Apart from one section, which we didn't venture into, the exhibition is actually quite child-friendly. I think it would be great for slightly older kids because she uses such a wide range of media so it would be a really good opportunity to teach them about different ways that they could make art. Kit was most impressed by her singing on the TV, and the flower sculpture on the balcony got a 'Wow!' and was hugely explored.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...